Hike-Tour
Call Us
Call+374 98 55 88 31
Mail info@armecotravel.com

Gegharquniq

Sevan

Lake Sevan is the largest lake in Armenia and one of the largest high-altitude lakes in the world.Lake Sevan is situated in the central part of the Republic of Armenia, inside the Gegharkunik Province, at the altitude of 1,900m above sea level. The total surface area of its basin is about 5,000 km2, the lake itself is 940 km2, and the volume is 34.0 bln cubic meters. It is fed by 28 rivers and streams. Only 10% of the outgoing water is drained by the Hrazdan (Razdan) river, while the remaining 90% evaporates.Before human intervention dramatically changed the Lake Sevan ecosystem, the lake was 95 metres deep, covered an area of 1,360 km² (5% of Armenia's entire area), had a volume of 58 km³ and a perimeter of 260 km. The lake surface was at an altitude of 1,950 m above sea level.Sevan is rubolous in spite of  weather conditions and  one can always enjoy the beauty of it.

 

Sevanavank

Sevanavank is a monastic complex located on a peninsula at the northwestern shore of Lake Sevan in the Gegharkunik Province of Armenia, not far from the town of Sevan. Initially the monastery was built at the southern shore of a small island. After the artificial draining of Lake Sevan, which started in the Stalin era, the water level fell about 20 metres, and the island transformed into a peninsula. At the southern shore of this newly created peninsula, a guesthouse of the Armenian Writers' Union was built. The eastern shore is occupied by the Armenian president's summer residence, while the monastery's still active seminary moved to newly constructed buildings at the northern shore of the peninsula.

 

Ayrivank

According to an inscription in one of the churches, the monastery of Sevanavank was founded in the year 874 by Princess Mariam, the daughter of Ashot I (who became a king a decade later). At the time, Armenia was still struggling to free itself from Arabrule.The monastery was strict as it was mainly intended for those monks from Etchmiadzin who had sinned. Jean-Marie Chopin, a French explorer of the Caucasus, visited there in 1830 and wrote of a regimen restraining from meat, wine, youth or women. Another explorer visited the monastery in 1850 and wrote of how manuscripts were still being copied manually.

 

Noraduz

Noraduz is one of the ancient settlements of Gegharquniq province where many monuments are preserved. In the center of the village stands St. Astvatcacin church which was built by prince Sahak in the 9th century. St. Grigor the Illuminator church and big graveyard with a lot of original “khachqar”s (13th-17th centuries) are situated not far from the center.
More in this category: « Armavir Kotayk »